You are a foreigner in France holding a long-stay visa or a valid residence permit with the mention “visitor” and you wish to renew your residence permit? Malekian Law Firm can assist you with the submission of your residence permit renewal application or with contesting the rejection of your renewal request before the relevant prefecture and, if necessary, before the competent administrative court.
What is a visitor residence permit?
When a foreigner resides outside France and wishes to travel frequently to France with the possibility of staying for more than three months, a long-stay visa or a visitor residence permit may be appropriate. A foreigner residing in France may apply for the renewal of their residence permit with the prefecture authorities in their place of residence in France.
What are the requirements for a request for issuance or renewal of a visitor residence permit?
- The foreigner must be able to provide proof of sufficient monthly means of existence equivalent to the minimum wage (SMIC).
- Health coverage in France • Proof of residence in France
- The foreigner undertakes not to work in France
What are the necessary documents for a request for issuance or renewal of a visitor residence permit?
- Long-stay visa or valid visitor residence permit
- Proof of civil status
- Proof of nationality
- Proof of residence
- Declaration of non-polygamy on oath (if married and originating from a country that allows polygamy) • Medical certificate issued by OFII
- Declaration on oath of not engaging in any professional activity in France
- Proof of sufficient means of existence
- Health insurance certificate covering the duration of the stay
What are the grounds for refusal of a visitor residence permit?
The competent prefecture may refuse the request for a visitor residence permit. Indicatively, the most frequent reasons for refusal are:
- Non-authenticity of the civil status document produced by the foreigner (e.g. errors or omissions on the document or failure to mention obligatory information, etc.)
- Non-fulfillment of one or more of the necessary conditions for the request of a visitor residence permit
- Threat to public order (e.g. in case of conviction in France) • etc.
How to contest a refusal of a visitor residence permit?
Appeal against the refusal of a visitor residence permit can be made at two levels. An administrative appeal or/and a judicial appeal before the competent administrative court.