Are you married to a French national and would like to obtain French nationality through this channel? The MALEKIAN law firm can assist you in preparing your application for French nationality or in challenging the rejection of your application to acquire French nationality before the competent court.
What does the nationality declaration by the spouse of a French national mean?
The nationality declaration by the spouse of a French national allows the foreign spouse of a French national to obtain nationality, subject to compliance with certain conditions. Acquisition of nationality in this case is a matter of right.
What are the necessary conditions for a nationality declaration by the spouse of a French national?
- You must have had a continuous and effective communal life for at least four years.
- If your marriage was celebrated abroad, it must have been transcribed on the French civil registry.
- You must not have been sentenced to at least six months in prison without parole, convicted of a crime or an act of terrorism, etc., except in the case of rehabilitation or deletion of the conviction from your criminal record certificate.
- You must have habitual residence in France at the time of the nationality declaration. If the above conditions are met, acquisition of French nationality is a matter of right.
What are the reasons for refusal of an application for the acquisition of French nationality by an ascendant of a French national?
The competent French authority may refuse your declaration for reasons such as:
- Failure to meet one or more of the conditions described above
- Lack of assimilation and threat to public order (e.g., in the event of conviction in France)
- Non-authenticity of the requested documents
How can one challenge the refusal of an application for the acquisition of French nationality by an ascendant of a French national?
Appeals against the refusal of an application for French nationality by the spouse of a French national may be made to the competent court.