Are you 65 years or older? Do you have a French child or grandchild and want to obtain French nationality? MALEKIAN law firm can assist you in preparing your application for French nationality or contesting a rejection of a French nationality acquisition request before the competent court.
What does the nationality declaration by a French descendant’s ancestor mean?
When a foreigner’s child or grandchild becomes French, their ancestor can also become French under certain conditions. In this case, nationality acquisition is automatic.
What are the necessary conditions for a nationality declaration by a French descendant’s ancestor?
- You must be 65 years or older.
- You must have a French descendant (child or grandchild).
- You must have lived in France for at least 25 years on a regular and habitual basis.
- You must not have been subject to an expulsion order or a ban on returning to French territory.
- You must not have been convicted of a criminal offense (sentence of at least 6 months’ imprisonment without parole, conviction for a crime or act of terrorism, etc.), except in cases of rehabilitation or erasure of the conviction from your criminal record.
- You must have your habitual residence in France at the time of the nationality declaration.
If the above conditions are met, French nationality acquisition is automatic.
What are the reasons for rejecting an application for French nationality acquisition by a French descendant’s ancestor?
The French authority may refuse your declaration for various reasons, including:
- When one or more of the conditions described above are not met.
- Lack of assimilation and a threat to public order (e.g., in the case of a conviction in France).
- The inauthentic nature of the requested documents.
How can you contest a rejection of an application for French nationality acquisition by a French descendant’s ancestor?
Appeals against the rejection of an application for French nationality acquisition by a French descendant’s ancestor can be made to the competent administrative court.