You are a foreigner in France holding a long-stay visa or a valid residence permit with the mention “foreigner for medical reasons” and you wish to renew your residence permit? Cabinet d’avocat MALEKIAN can assist you with the submission of your application for the issuance or renewal of a foreign resident permit for medical reasons, or contest the rejection of your renewal application before the prefecture and, if necessary, before the competent administrative court.
What is a foreign resident permit for medical reasons?
A long-stay visa (VLS) or a foreign resident permit for medical reasons allows its holder, who is seriously ill and cannot be treated in their country of origin, to obtain or renew a residence permit during their medical treatment in France.
Foreign residents in France who still require medical treatment can apply for the renewal of their residence permit with the prefectural authorities in their place of residence in France if necessary. It should be noted that requests for residence permits for medical treatment are continuously declining.
What are the conditions to be met for an application for issuance or renewal of a foreign resident permit for medical reasons?
- Supporting documents to assess your habitual residence duration in France as a foreigner whose health requires medical treatment not available in your country of residence.
- Medical coverage in France.
- Proof of accommodation in France.
What are the grounds for refusal of a foreign resident permit for medical reasons?
The competent prefecture may refuse the application. As indicative examples, the most common grounds for refusal are:
- Non-authentic character of the civil status document produced by the foreigner (e.g. mistakes or errors on the document or lack of mandatory information, etc.).
- One or more of the necessary conditions for the application for a foreign resident permit for medical reasons are not met.
- Threat to public order (e.g. in case of conviction in France).
How to contest a refusal of a foreign resident permit for medical reasons?
The appeal against the refusal of a foreign resident permit for medical reasons can be made at two levels: a gracious or hierarchical administrative appeal and/or a contentious appeal to the competent administrative court.