If you are a foreigner in France holding a long-stay visa or a valid residence permit with the mention “employee” and you wish to renew your residence permit, the MALEKIAN law firm can assist you in submitting your renewal application or contesting the rejection of your application before the relevant administrative tribunal.
What is a residence permit for employees?
A long-stay visa or a residence permit for employees allows its holder to work as an employee in France for an indefinite period. Foreign residents in France can apply for the renewal of their residence permit with the prefectural authorities in their place of residence in France.
What are the conditions for obtaining or renewing a residence permit for employees?
The following conditions must be met to obtain or renew a residence permit for employees:
- An employment permit that corresponds to your job
- An indefinite-term employment contract with a salary of at least the minimum wage
- Medical coverage in France
- Proof of residence in France
What are the reasons for refusing a residence permit for employees?
The competent prefecture may refuse a request for a residence permit for employees. Some of the most common reasons for refusal include:
- Non-authenticity of the civil status document submitted by the foreigner (e.g., errors or omissions in the document, missing mandatory information, etc.)
- Failure to meet one or more of the necessary conditions for the application of the residence permit for employees
- Threat to public order (e.g., in case of conviction in France)
How can you contest a refusal of a residence permit for employees?
A refusal of a residence permit for employees can be appealed at two levels: an administrative or hierarchical appeal, and/or a contentious appeal to the competent administrative tribunal.