You are a foreigner residing in France and married to a French citizen, and you wish to obtain a residence permit in France on this basis? The MALEKIAN law firm accompanies you in preparing your application for a French spouse residence permit or challenging the rejection of your application with the competent administration or court.
What is a French spouse residence permit request?
A foreign national who is the spouse of a French citizen may obtain a residence permit on this basis if certain conditions are met. However, to continue living in France legally, they must have a residence permit.
What are the conditions for a temporary French spouse residence permit request?
- The French spouse must establish that they are French.
- The couple’s union must be justified by marriage (union by PACS is not accepted).
- The real and continuous community of life of the couple (bills in both names, joint tax notice, lease in both names, etc.) must be demonstrated.
What are the reasons for rejecting a French spouse residence permit request?
- The prefecture may reject the French spouse residence permit request if one or more of the specific conditions required based on their situation are not met.
- If the applicant poses a threat to public order.
- Absence of proof of the French spouse’s nationality.
- Death of the French spouse.
- Non-authenticity of the civil status document produced by the foreigner (e.g., errors or mistakes on the document or failure to include mandatory information, etc.).
- Absence of matrimonial intention (e.g., significant age difference).
- Threat to public order (e.g., in case of conviction in France).
How to challenge a rejection of a French spouse residence permit request?
An administrative appeal and/or a legal challenge can be made against the rejection of a French spouse residence permit request.